Snail Races

...where even the winners are slow and slimy. It's all a matter of degrees, really. Reality based since 1692.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upper Canada

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

tectonic shifts in my worldview

Having gotten back into a football pool this year, I remembered a few weeks ago that I used to enjoy reading Greg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback.

I came across the follwing on a day when, having been presented with ample evidence of my fossilization vis-a-vis kids today, it served to further illustrate that so many of the verities of my youth have less veritas these days.

"Scoop and Score: Twice in the first quarter, San Francisco defenders saw a fumble bouncing, scooped the ball up and ran for a touchdown -- rather than diving on the ball as coaches have instructed since time immemorial. A few weeks ago, I was watching my oldest son's high school football team. In a close game, the opponent fumbled, one of our guys had a clear path to the end zone but just fell on the ball -- as coaches have instructed since time immemorial. Afterward, I mentioned that just falling on the ball is the right thing; Grant, the Official First Child of TMQ, countered, "No, Dad, you should 'scoop and score.' That's what they teach now." Apparently, many coaches are now teaching "scoop and score" -- that it's better to try and scoop up the ball in stride for an easy touchdown, even if this means losing some fumbles you could get by just falling on them."


There must be a stat geek somewhere behind this.

On so many levels, I don't know what to believe anymore, and this unsure, reeling feeling comes more and more often, as time goes by.

Maybe crime does pay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home