Snail Races

...where even the winners are slow and slimy. It's all a matter of degrees, really. Reality based since 1692.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upper Canada

Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Second Book of Insults

I don't have the First Book of Insults, but if the "B" material was left for the second, I'll look for it... they're both by Nancy Mcphee.

IIRC, I won this slim volume as the first caller to Erika Ritter on CBC Radio some time in the last century... anyway, it rose to the top of one of the piles around here, and a quick glance fell on these lines.

Tom Sheridan: I think, father, that many men who are called great patriots in the House of Commons are really great humbugs. For my part, when I get into Parliament, I will pledge myself to no party, but write upon my forehead in legible characters, "To Be Let".
Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816): and under it, Tom, write "Unfurnished".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home